Specialising in surgery for the jaws, face and mouth.

Ph 1300 323 822

Facial Reconstruction and Facial (maxillofacial) Trauma Surgery

When dealing with facial injuries in the workplace, or following a car accident, a fall, or even by inter-personal violence… oral & maxillofacial surgeons are the key specialist surgical group to seek referral to for your facial reconstruction and rehabilitation needs.

For facial injuries that do not also involve head injuries or neck injuries or more systemic injury, you can be directly referred to an oral & maxillofacial surgeon by your medical GP, your family dentist, or even your work place occupational health and safety or OHS officer through WorkCover (also known as Work Cover or Work Safe).

Where facial injury is more severe or if it is associated with wider injury such as head injury or neck injury, then usually your first line of treatment will be in a public hospital, by public surgeons.

Facial injury surgery is not performed by cosmetic surgeons. Occasionally your Plastic Surgeon, Ear, Nose and Throat Surgeon, or General Surgeon will have some limited training in Maxillofacial Surgery. But most people will be treated by surgeons who are specifically registered and therefore specifically trained as Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons.

Hopefully this website will be a guide for you.